Opening in 1961
The grand opening of Fjellheisen took place a crisp February day in 1961. Several travel agencies and journalists from near and far were invited, and speakers like Helge Jakobsen from Brødrene Jakobsens Rederi and the mayor of Tromsøysund, Kåre Hansen were present. School children were given the day off and sang songs accompanied by beautiful tunes from the Tromsdalen marching band. Bank Manager Anton Jakobsen conducted the official opening.
The film is from Filmavisen in 1961, and shows the opening ceremony.
1958: Construction begins
During the construction, materials and equipment were transported with a working lift south of the Fjellheisen. The workers had to walk.
Fjellheisen opened 22nd February 1961, a few months after the Tromsø bridge was finished. The restaurant was ready for King Olav's visit on 29th July.
The night of 10th June 1979 there was a fire at Fjellheisen. The restaurant building was completely damaged, and 13 years went by before a new restaurant was opened.
The new restaurant came into operation on 18th November 1992. By then, 20 months had passed from start to completion of Fjellstua.
In April 2016, Fjellheisen reopened after NOK 68 million had been invested in new cable cars and machinery, an extended panoramic terrace and a new wheelchair lift. The opening was conducted by Jan-Frode Jansson from Sparebanken Nord-Norge, while Sadionor Teater performed a play in which included the original speech from 1961 speech.